Tuesday, August 7, 2012

First Days of School: Hoooo - ray for School!

We had a T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C start to our new school year, and I had so many things to show that I decided to break them into at least two posts.  This one will be mainly about the fun first two or three days so sit back with your mug of coffee/tea and enjoy!  :)  


The kids woke up the first day of our homeschool to a decorated dining room - this year I went with an owl theme.  I could not find any colorful small owl cut outs that I liked, but I did find a border with a bunch of cute owls on it so I bought that instead and cut the owls out.  I then glued them to a "tree" I had cut from some brown paper, glued the entire thing to a skewer and stuck it in the middle of a stack of pancakes.  (Note the sign and the stack of sausages in the background as well).


For the backdrop, I used a vinyl tablecloth and blue napkins which I wrote on with a Sharpie.  And see - more of those little owls sitting on the "o's".  :)  


I made owl placemats to go along with the smaller owls and to add a punch of color to the table.


I found some super cute owl toppers and bought each kiddo a pencil and a grip to match.  


Following breakfast it was time to take a look at the new school supplies - but... UH OH!  They were snitched by the homeschool elf!!!  

However, one thing the homeschool elf likes even more than new school supplies is a good hunt.  Soooo, he risked losing the supplies in order to send the wee ones (actually more like the wee one since our tot wasn't that interested) looking for them via clues he had left around the house.  


The homeschool elf was no match for Miss A, and she found the missing supplies (and the elf sitting with them).  Hooo-ray!  ;)

I always think it adds to the excitement and fun on the first day when the supplies are wrapped up so the kids have something to open.  This time I used paper bags, yarn, white paper (spots on it were made with marker) and more of the owl border (because there were so many in the package) for packaging things up.  


Then it was time to dress in new first day of school clothes (yes, even though we homeschool, I still like to buy something new for the kids that first day) and take our first day pictures...


I love this picture.  So much for trying to get a good shot of his shoes.  ;)


Aren't these cards absolutely adorable?!  Those owls are actually little bookmarks!  I inserted one in a book so you could see how cute they are with the little eyes sticking up.  AND they are a FREE printable!  Get yours here!

These cards were supposed to be on the breakfast table the first day, but I forgot about them in all of the excitement of the morning and realized it later on so they received these days later.  But better late than never, right?  :)  


In addition to starting some of our main subjects, we started some of our activities from the "Back to Homeschool/School" activity pack I made for Miss A (I do have this available in my TPT store here on SALE this month for $1.50!).

She must have had apples on her mind because she drew herself eating apples in her first day portrait.  And I loved her goals for mid year - she wants to be able to read a book and eat an apple at the same time.  I got such a kick out of that.  That prompted a kind of a mini lesson in what I meant by goals.  But definitely a keeper to pull out in later years for a good chuckle.  


We finished off the first few days of school with some yummy cupcakes for our dessert night.  The toppers are more of those owls I cut out from the border and glued to toothpicks.  :) 

So how did you (or do you plan to) celebrate your first exciting day of school?  I have a linky party going on in this post right now through the end of August for people to link up their back to school posts, ideas, homeschool rooms, school organization tips, etc. in hopes of gathering a good collection for other mommies and teachers to use for a resource or inspiration.  I'd love to have you join us if you have something fun to share which would be a good fit for the collection!  :)

Linking up:  
www.cornerstoneconfessions.com
www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com
www.gingersnapcrafts.com
www.milkandcuddles.com
www.enchantedhomeschoolingmom.blogspot.com
www.momontimeout.com
www.handsonaswegrow.com
www.houseofhepworths.com
www.bearrabbitbear.com
www.happyhourprojects.com
www.whipperberry.com
www.homeschoolcreations.net
http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/2012/08/weekly-wrap-up-12/
www.tatertotsandjello.com
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com
www.cheeriosandlattes.com
www.themommymess.com
http://makingtheworldcuter.com/2012/08/making-the-world-cuter-3/ 
www.delicateconstruction.com

Hip Homeschool Hop ButtonFor the Kids Friday

46 comments:

  1. What a fun way to start school, and your pictures are so lovely!

    Thanks so much for stopping by Taking Time To Create and commenting on my Magnetic Activity Board post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute start to the year! Love the stacked up pancakes! Have a GREAT year=)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to kick off another school year! We usually head out with our books for a day at the lake and beach without crowds! (It's not something unique though as we're at the lake almost every day in the summer. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo - that sounds relaxing! We love going places during school hours too - so much more relaxed! :)

      Delete
  4. How cute! I love the owl cupcakes. The stack of pancakes is adorable and your kids must have been thrilled to wake up to this. I hope that you and your kids have a great homeschooling year! Thank you for linking up to my Enchanted Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Miss A was particularly thrilled I think - she loves surprises!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I didn't even think of doing anything like this for our first day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. You really made the first day of school fun for your kids. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful way to begin the new year! what great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am inviting you to come and share this in my Show Your Stuff blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/08/show-your-stuff-36-taco-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to start the school year. Your kids must have felt so special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were pretty happy! :) It is fun to plan this sort of thing. :)

      Delete
  10. Totally adore this theme! I'm featuring it on Thursday's Things to Make This Weekend Segment! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great way to bring in the new year. I bet your littles really look forward to the first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Miss A enjoyed the surprise that morning. :)

      Delete
  12. What a fun way to start the year! How could you not look forward to the first day of school?? I would love for you to share these ideas at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    Hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation and sweet comments, Jaime! :)

      Delete
  13. Whoa, I feel suddenly like our start was very inadequate! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - your kids probably just love the first day too! :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, could you please share with us how you made the placemats? For some it might be obvious, but for craft-impaired people like me it is not. ;) LOL!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer,
      Sadly - I don't have a tutorial in place for the placemats. I just used two 12 x12 yellow papers for the background (glued together) and then made the rest from other craft paper and by looking at a couple of the owls on the border I bought. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Boo whoo...haha couldn't resist! ;)

      Thanks anyway!

      Jennifer
      {www.agelementary.blogspot.com}

      Delete
  15. Oooh! I love this! We're starting with a Birds theme, but you've inspired me with many fun start of the year ideas!! I'm going to pin this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! Hope you have a fun start to your year as well! :)

      Delete
  16. I love it! I was already planning to use the bookmarks cards, and this has given me so many ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Featuring YOU today!

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/08/take-look-at-you-15-back-to-school-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ginger! I appreciate the feature!

      Delete
  18. Such fun activities and decor! Love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. Makes me want to redo our first day of school. But...we still have our first day of co-op, so maybe I can do something then. So fun! Now following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments, Jenny! Glad to have you following along!

      Delete
  20. I love everything about this post! So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete